Emotions and feelings is the same or there's a difference?
We often say "I feel", implying both that, and another. Meanwhile, to the concept of emotion fits better with the verb "feel". Such basic emotions as sadness, surprise, joy, disgust, fear - we not only feel through the body, but – look at pictures - we are not mistaken in reading the body language of another person. We feel emotions in the body through the limbic system. Limbic system is the part of the brain that unites a man with all mammals. Let's look at some of its functions:
- the Perception of sounds that allows us to distinguish "his-alien" and, therefore, to develop a system of communication.
- Responding to the tones, sounds and voices: threat-safe; master-slave.
- Response to the similarity – the creation of a group/family of their own kind, the membership of the group.
- Maintaining certain habits of behavior based on memory – comfort zone, routine, habitual actions.
- Response to the defense of their areas and groups.
- of Associating the recognition of only the present, "here and now", that is, emotion supports the action, attack or escape, joy or suffering. The reason disappears – disappears this reason, the corresponding emotion.
the Owners of domestic animals-mammals will find all of these features have their favorites. And it's about the emotions.
And feelings? They are controlled by the cortex, or neocortex. This is the most complex system, the neural connections that provide the ability to design and reconstruct images allow you to visualize, to imagine the future or the past – that is, we have the ability to imagine. Unlike other animals, we are able to recall a past situation, which was "then and there" and experience "here and now" the emotion experienced by then. And also we can imagine the future possible situation and experience the "here and now" emotion, which will correspond to an imaginary situation "there and then".
Thus, emotions is what we feel through the body through the limbic system and feelings is what we think through the neocortex, about emotions, about their emotionally filled actions, both past and present, and future. We are able to be dissociirovati from his emotions, able to see them from the side. For example, I currently remember, as I in the morning someone shouted: I imagine myself one morning, feeling emotions of anger and memories in the here and now I feel shame for past behavior. My connection with the body through the emotions in the morning was the same - anger, and the memories of the other shame.
the Force of the manifestation of emotions depend on the temperament and the strength and stability of feelings from our thinking abilities and reflection. The connection between the limbic system and the neocortex exists, but the mechanism is not yet fully understood. The surgeon can even operate the neocortex without anesthesia. And when you consider that, according to scientists, the evolution of the neocortex is no more than 3 million years, and the limbic system 50 million years, we probably are in the midst of creating such links. So we often mix the concepts of emotions and feelings.
· Actually, the emotion
· the Moral, or moral
Primary, estimated reaction
and Subject specific, previously-considered
Associated with the biological process
Connected with the social sphere, the cultural environment
the Maximum presented in the mind
the Emotional brain (Limbic system)
the cerebral Cortex (Neocortex)
Manifested "here and now".
a Sustainable attitude
One resistant feeling can manifest in different emotions, depending on the situation: from joy to anger.
Our emotions can run emotionally charged thoughts in the neocortex, but also our thoughts can affect emotions and their feeling in the body.
"Emotions are thus the internal organizer our reactions that bother, excite, stimulate or retard certain reactions. Thus, the emotion remains the role of the internal organizer of our behavior". Vygotsky
But if emotions are so important, why control them? And is it possible to control them?
The best we can do at this stage of evolution is to learn to recognize your emotions as they are, being indicative reactions are triggered instantly and regardless of our desires. Work as if it were our security system, successfully helps us to survive in groups during the last 50 million years of evolution. Why to disable it?
But to be able to recognize emotions is extremely important.
- Recognizing emotion, we will be able to respond adequately in the here and now or, if you are unable immediately, then we can prepare for the next time, reflection on the situation and our reaction to it.
- since emotion is carried through the limbic system, it is accompanied by chemical processes in the body. This means that every emotion should undergo the whole process from beginning to end, without stopping, in order not to leave traces in the body. For example, the release of adrenaline when fear needs to be reworked to an excess does not adversely affect the metabolic processes. Chemistry of raw emotion is the basis of psychosomatic diseases.
- Being unconscious the primary reaction, the emotion may be warning us that we're not consciously recognize what another thought and had no idea. How often do we retroactively recall – "I felt it immediately, but did not attach importance", although it would be better to say "felt" in the body, but not "felt", that is not a thought in the mind.
What is the role of the neocortex?
If the emotion is manifested always in the here and now, what can you say about feelings:
- Feelings are processed in the minds of primary emotions; in fact it is the choice of those emotions that we want to cultivate.
- Feelings reflect our ability to recognize emotions, to understand their nature and make choices in favor of the necessary and desired responses.
- the Ability to feel helps us to accept the fact that we can spontaneously respond emotionally at odds with our steady senses. But we are also able to accept in others and talk about it with each other.
- Our cultural development and accumulation of past emotional experiences contributes to the development of feelings towards understanding of possible emotional reactions from ourselves and from others.
Theme development emotional intelligence as the ability to recognize feelings and emotions, both their own and other people, the ability to use this knowledge to their thinking and action has become especially popular since the second half of the last century, as an instrument of human development and its successful functioning in the social environment, and personal life. But unfortunately, often this topic is the need to control their emotions and to learn to recognize and use.
"that Rules the passions is not the one who completely abstains from them, but the one who uses them as driving a vehicle or horse, that is, it guides them where necessary and useful". Aristotel
And finally a little exercise in order to self-reflect on past emotion, to process it, to reflect, that is, to understand why it originated and what I wanted to tell you.
for Example, you feel bad after you've shown emotions such as anger or rage. First, find out their hidden intention, responding to your questions:
1) yesterday I was in a hearts made (which?) _____________
2) this is because my intention at that moment was (to show, to prove, to explain; to cause a feeling, etc.) ___________ i>
3) if it reached its goal, I would at the moment (got, felt, etc.) ___
4) and in the long run it would be mine ______
5) and then I (was, did, felt) _________
Having dealt with the intentions, discover possibilities, answering the questions:
a) is it possible to get from this person?
b) can I get the same thing in another way? From others?
every emotion is hidden intention, which is not always recognised. As soon as we get to it, the emotion releases or reduces its charge. Emotions in the body, they get sick, before my brain will find the answer.