What are you doing to protect yourself from your worries and fears?
it is Important to realize protective behavior 1, which locks us long in anxiety.
When we are doing something to gain a feeling of security, we spoke directly to our brain, "Look, I'm doing it, then I'm in danger!". We don't even know how tied protective behavior and reflex on call symptoms of fear in the body 2.
a Bunch of "avoidance symptoms of fear in a body" looks like in practice here it is:
- I perceive the situation or feeling in the body as a danger;
- the Brain reacts to the feeling of danger and includes a protective reaction in the body: the production of adrenaline, increased heart rate, tension in the body;
- You give in to the impulse of his fear (because there is a sense of danger see item 1) and trigger protective behavior. Avoiding, running away, protecting yourself, you gain a temporary sense of security;
- the Brain receives positive reinforcement for its defensive reactions: Started the symptoms in the body - perfectly got the sense of security (albeit temporary). "Always now going to include a defensive reaction to the feeling of danger!".
Conclusion? Your "avoiding" we are strengthening in ourselves the reflex for the launch of the symptoms of fear in the body.
- So you will no longer give proof of danger your brain;
- Not succumbing to the impulse to avoid it, you weaken the reflex of the start of symptoms;
- Not avoiding, you will meet with his fear to spit on him from a great height.
Interested in a scientific approach in the treatment of anxiety disorders? Then go to my instagram @usolcevpsy download my brochure "Self-help for panic attacks". I'll see you in the air and on the pages of this website!
Your Alexander Usoltsev, a psychologist at anxiety disorders.
1. Protective behavior (avoidant behavior, avoidance) is our behavior which we are launching in order to feel safe as soon as possible. For each fear has its own specific types of protective behavior. For example, if fear of movement by public transport is to stand at the exit, drink water, chew gum or even refuse to travel.
2. as if a reflex call of symptoms in the body is meant the automatic start of intense defensive reaction of the organism, which manifests itself as unpleasant feelings in the body. This phenomenon is called "pathological conditioned reflex". the Symptoms of fear in the body is a natural and safe sensations in the body disturbing person (shortness of breath, palpitations, shortness of breath, tremors, headaches and neck pain, diarrhea, etc.) that run from the fear or sense of danger.