In recent years workaholic began to attract the attention of psychologists and psychotherapists in connection with the frequent cases of appeal to them customers with complaints of fatigue, fatigue, reduced vitality, depression, family dysfunction, lower libido and other problems.
a careful analysis of the causes of these problems, which is an integral part of any counseling, it appears that in recent times these customers have a lot of hard work, much more than eight hours per day, often without weekends and holidays. As a rule, this phenomenon is more common in private business, when the "time is money", although common (some at least) and the employees of state organizations.
What is workaholism? Is one of the forms of addictive (dependent) behavior, extreme diligence, his exaggerated form.
workaholic, as a rule, work comes first in life, leaving behind all other aspects: personal life, family, entertainment, social activities. And it "warmed up", approved by the authorities. Usually they tell their subordinates, "Now, with whom should take an example".
Parents, raising a child, too, telling him: "Who is a lot of hard work, he could do". It would seem that there is nothing wrong here, hard work in our society is perceived as a positive personality trait.
and the situation of the economic crisis in the country is pushing many people to work more in an effort to earn more money. All right, just don't need to go to extremes.
Remember, in the recent past the example was Japan, which has achieved remarkable success in economic development by the workaholic of the Japanese. Today, Japanese doctors and psychologists are sounding the alarm, concerned about the state of physical and mental health of their fellow citizens. The creation of special programmes of treatment and rehabilitation of workaholics. I think that in the near future that awaits our country.
In our practice there were cases when clients are not treated with the problem workaholic, and with its consequence - depression, family quarrels, unaware of the reason. In the analysis of these problems revealed that the culprit workaholic.
In one of these cases was a young woman who was in depression from what could not marry while her friend already had children. This lack of implementation as a wife and mother often becomes the cause of depression in women about 30 years... As it turned out during the consultation, she 15 hours a day doing your job (which, incidentally, she loved), not excluding weekends and holidays (it individual). Coming home literally "fell down" about any hobby, entertainment, personal life was not the question, it had neither time, nor forces, and in recent years, and desires. She increasingly began to think about why it's necessary, if life became one solid work. Began to visit the dark thoughts of the meaninglessness of life etc. At this time the Internet saw an advertisement on the website of psychologists. Upon inquiry from friends who are already sought assistance to psychologists, she decided on consultation and subsequent psychotherapy. Now this man does not know. She recently wrote us an e-mail and said that she has a boyfriend, and she's good.
Another case - a middle-aged man who sought psychological help due to constant quarrels in the family, which was on the verge of divorce. In the course of working with him and his wife revealed that the main reason (not the only) was workaholic father of the family, who did not pay much attention neither to his wife nor his two teenage children, who really needed his attention and participation, but "dad was all the time at work." Even attempts by his family to communicate with him by phone, to discuss any important issue, broke: "don't call me at work, I'm busy." For the same reason, forget the birthdays of loved ones, and the last straw that led to a Grand scandal, and the announcement of his wife's divorce, was that because of the constant overtime he forgot about the anniversary wedding anniversary, and went to the next trip.
these are just some examples of what can cause immoderate passion to perform their job duties. Deserve your attention the psychological issues that are the trigger for this behavior. It is usually the psychological distress of the individual (fear of loneliness, lowered self-esteem, fear or inability to communicate, etc.) that one seeks to "hide", with a head having gone to work.
the reader, for sure, the question arose: "is Not a workaholic?". And although we are not proponents of psychological tests available on the Internet that have no author, no verification, yet to help people give this questionnaire, which seemed to be quite able to give a person food for thought...
Read the questions and answer them Yes or no.
1. Worried about whether your job you more than family or any other issues?
2. If you do your work before bedtime, on weekends, on vacation?
3. Is your job your most favorite pastime and the most interesting topic of conversation?
4. Do you work more than 40 hours in a week?
5. If you turn your hobby into a way of earning money?
6. Take full responsibility for the result of their work only for themselves?
7. Your friends or family is never waiting for you after work in time?
8. You take work home, because I think that otherwise she will fail?
9. You often underestimate the time required for the project and then begin to work on it in emergency mode?
10. Do you think that it's okay to work overtime, if the work gives you pleasure?
11. You irritate people who also work there are others important in their view classes?
12. Are you afraid that if you won't work overtime, you get fired?
13. Your future is always worried about you, even when everything seems to be normal?
14. You have always accepted the case with energy, the competition, even if it's just a game?
15. Are you annoyed when people ask you to stop doing work in order to do something else?
16. Your overtime irritate your family or loved ones?
17. Are you thinking about your work when you fall asleep driving or talking with others?
18. Are you working during lunch?
19. Do you believe that by earning more money you will be able to solve other problems of your life?
If you answered Yes to at least 3 questions, then it is possible that you have problems with excessive attachment to work.
From 4 to 10 – you have to think about adjusting their behavior.
More than 10 – it may be wise to go to a psychologist?
the Article was first published on the website of the Psychological Studio "GROWTH" Saint-Petersburg: https://www.psyrost.spb.ru/single-post/trudogolik
© Elena and Alexander, Bazanchuk, psychologists-psychotherapists, neuropsychologists, family and personal psychologists for adults and children, Psychological Studio "GROWTH" Saint-Petersburg
Подробнее об источнике